Queensland Maritime Museum has postponed its trial re-opening this weekend due to the Greater Brisbane COVID-19 lockdown.
QMM will refund ticket fees for all supporters who had planned to visit the South Brisbane site on Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 January.
Approximately 75% of available tickets had been purchased.
“We are very disappointed, but of course public health is our priority,” CEO Emma Di Muzio said.
“As an organisation with many volunteers and members in the high-risk category, we have from the start of the pandemic worked closely with Queensland Health to develop our site specific COVID-Safe plan and therefore understood the risks of this pandemic.”
QMM was closed between March and September due to the initial COVID-19 outbreak.
After a brief re-opening in September/October, the Museum was forced to close again in November to save funds.
“All museums have experienced lower visitor numbers throughout this past year, but the extra cost of COVID specific cleaning fees and other associated safety costs has brought QMM to its knees financially,” Ms Di Muzio said.
“This trial re-opening was going to be a boost for morale, as we had received much interest from people to see our wonderful collection, which is one of the largest in Australia.”
QMM’s main source of income is visitor entrance fees. It receives no ongoing operational funding from local, state or federal government.
QMM is still running a change.org petition to gauge community support on options to secure the Museum’s financial future.
You can see it here:
For up to date information from Queensland Maritime Museum, visit our website or social media channels: