When at sea, Diamantina’s power requirements of 220 volts DC were met by two 2 cylinder steam engines each driving a generator in the engine room. In port, when the boilers were shut down, power came from a diesel generator.
This switchboard distributed power to the forward part of the ship and to the Low Power Supply – a bank of batteries supplying 24 volts DC back up power.
This switchboard, and the corresponding after switch board, are rare examples of heavy duty switchboards from the mid 1900’s. One can only imagine the reaction of modern WHS inspectors to workers operating this board!!