In 1910, two friends, Daniel Evans and Arthur Deakin, formed a partnership and opened a small business in Edward Street, as suppliers of engineering equipment. They acquired a workshop in 1913.
As an engineering firm, the business prospered and expanded. In 1940, a shipyard at Kangaroo Point was acquired, marking the beginning of the 30 year existence of Evans Deakin Shipbuilders. During the Second World War, the company constructed seventeen naval and merchant ships. The last of eighty one ships built in the yards was launched in 1971.
The exhibition tells the story of this significant Brisbane engineering firm through photographs and models from the Museum's collection.